US Deports 17 Alleged Gang Members to El Salvador Amid Legal Disputes
Despite a court order halting deportations under a centuries-old law, the US has deported 17 alleged gang members to El Salvador, the State Department confirmed.
The Trump administration has deported 17 individuals accused of gang affiliation to El Salvador, despite ongoing legal challenges and a federal court order temporarily blocking deportations under the Alien Enemies Act — a law from 1798 historically used only during wartime.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the deportees include members of the notorious Tren de Aragua and MS-13 gangs. Salvadoran officials told the BBC the group includes both Salvadoran and Venezuelan nationals.
Earlier in March, a federal court ordered deportations under the Alien Enemies Act to be suspended. Civil rights groups, including the ACLU, had sued the administration, arguing the law was being misapplied and that deportees were denied due process. On March 15, federal judge James Boasberg issued a restraining order, even forcing mid-air flights to return. However, the most recent deportations were reportedly carried out under general immigration laws, according to unnamed US officials cited in local media.
In a statement, Rubio said the deportees were "murderers and rapists," but provided no names or details of their alleged crimes or convictions.
El Salvador’s President Nayib Bukele posted a video on X (formerly Twitter) showing shackled men being unloaded from a plane, their heads shaved before being placed in prison cells. "All individuals are confirmed murderers and high-profile offenders, including six child rapists," Bukele wrote, calling the operation part of El Salvador’s ongoing battle against terrorism and organized crime.
Former President Donald Trump shared Bukele’s post, blaming President Joe Biden’s administration for allowing the individuals into the US. He thanked Bukele for "giving them such a wonderful place to live." El Salvador has reportedly agreed to accept deportees in exchange for $6 million in aid.
However, family members of some previously deported individuals insist their relatives have no gang ties.
The legal battle over the use of the Alien Enemies Act continues, with the next court hearing scheduled for Thursday.
Leave A Comment