Four Killed in Israeli Airstrike on Beirut Despite Ceasefire, Lebanon Says
An Israeli airstrike in Beirut’s southern suburbs has killed a Hezbollah commander, his son, and two others, according to Lebanon’s health ministry, raising tensions amid an already fragile ceasefire with the group.
Article:
An overnight Israeli airstrike in the Dahieh area of southern Beirut has left four people dead and seven injured, Lebanon’s health ministry announced. The strike, which occurred despite a ceasefire agreement in place since November, targeted a residential building in a neighborhood known for its Hezbollah presence.
The Israeli military confirmed the operation, stating that it was aimed at Hassan Bdeir, who they claim was involved in planning an imminent attack on Israeli civilians in coordination with Hamas. The joint statement from the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), Israel Security Agency (ISA), and Mossad said Bdeir posed an “immediate threat” and that the action was necessary to eliminate it. No specific details of the alleged plot were provided.
Hezbollah acknowledged the deaths of Bdeir, referred to as a “commander,” and his son Ali, also a member of the group. Lebanese officials identified the two other victims as Ahmed Mahmoud and his sister Hiam. Their mother was among those wounded in the strike.
Lebanon’s President Joseph Aoun condemned the attack, calling it a “dangerous warning,” while Prime Minister Nawaf Salam labeled it a “flagrant violation” of the ceasefire.
Hezbollah MP Ali Ammar, who visited the site, criticized the strike and warned that while the group was showing restraint, “this patience has limits.”
This is the second strike in recent days on the Dahieh neighborhood, underscoring the growing strain on the truce between Israel and Hezbollah. Just last week, Israel launched its first strike on Beirut since the ceasefire began, targeting what it said was a Hezbollah drone storage facility. That attack came in response to rockets fired from southern Lebanon into northern Israel, although Hezbollah denied involvement and reaffirmed its commitment to the ceasefire.
Since the ceasefire took effect, Israel has continued launching near-daily airstrikes on targets it claims are linked to Hezbollah. Lebanese authorities argue these actions, along with the continued presence of Israeli troops in parts of southern Lebanon, violate the terms of the agreement.
The broader conflict between Israel and Hezbollah escalated following Hamas’s October 7, 2023, attacks on southern Israel. Hezbollah entered the conflict in support of Hamas, triggering a sustained Israeli air and ground campaign across Lebanon.
The fighting has resulted in the deaths of approximately 4,000 people in Lebanon, many of them civilians, and has displaced over 1.2 million residents. Israel has said its military operations aim to push Hezbollah forces away from its northern border and facilitate the return of some 60,000 Israeli residents displaced by the violence.
Leave A Comment