World

Canadian MP Paul Chiang Resigns Over Controversial Comments About Rival and Chinese Bounty

Liberal candidate Paul Chiang quits re-election bid after suggesting his political opponent be handed over to the Chinese consulate for a bounty, sparking national outrage.

Canadian Member of Parliament Paul Chiang has withdrawn from the upcoming federal election amid backlash over controversial remarks suggesting his political rival be surrendered to Chinese authorities for a bounty.

Chiang, who was running as a Liberal Party candidate in a Toronto-area riding, made the comments during a Chinese-language media event earlier this year. He appeared to reference Conservative candidate Vincent Tay, a prominent pro-democracy activist from Hong Kong, saying Tay should be turned over to the Chinese consulate in exchange for a reward.

Tay, who co-founded the nonprofit group HongKonger Station, is among several overseas activists wanted by Hong Kong police under the city’s sweeping national security law. In December, authorities in Hong Kong issued a HK$1 million (C$184,000) bounty for information leading to Tay’s arrest, accusing him of inciting secession and colluding with foreign powers.

Tay, currently running for a Conservative seat also in the Toronto area, rejected Chiang’s public apology and demanded his removal from the race.

"His threatening public comments were intended to intimidate me, and they must not be tolerated," Tay said in a statement.

Chiang announced his resignation shortly after midnight in a social media post, stating his decision was made to prevent “distractions in this critical moment.” He emphasized his dedication to public service and protecting Canadian values.

Prime Minister Mark Carney, who initially defended Chiang and allowed him to remain a candidate after his apology, confirmed on Tuesday that he had accepted Chiang’s resignation.

“As I said yesterday, his comments were deeply troubling and regrettable,” Carney said during a campaign stop in Winnipeg.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) have confirmed they are reviewing the incident. In a statement to The Globe and Mail, an RCMP spokesperson said, “Foreign actor interference, including instances of transnational repression, continues to be a pervasive threat in Canada.”

Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre criticized Carney for not acting sooner.

“Mr. Carney will never put this country first — he will always put himself first,” Poilievre said.

The controversy comes as the Conservative Party also faced scrutiny, removing one of its own candidates over a 2022 podcast clip where he jokingly suggested former Prime Minister Justin Trudeau deserved the death penalty. Poilievre called the remarks “unacceptable” in an interview with CTV News.

The incident has further highlighted growing concerns in Canada over foreign interference and the reach of Hong Kong’s national security law, which critics say is being used to silence dissent well beyond the city’s borders.

Leave A Comment

Live Tv


Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to stay.