Australian Nurses Suspended Over Antisemitic Video
Two nurses from a Sydney hospital have been suspended after a video surfaced showing them making violent threats against Israeli patients and boasting about refusing to treat them.
New South Wales (NSW) authorities confirmed that both individuals are now under police investigation. State Health Minister Ryan Park assured the public that a "thorough investigation" would be conducted to ensure no patients had suffered harm. However, an initial review of hospital records found no immediate cause for concern.
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese strongly condemned the video, calling it "sickening and shameful" after it began circulating online. His statement comes just days after Australia introduced stricter hate crime laws in response to a rise in antisemitic incidents.
On Wednesday, NSW Police stated that they had identified the individuals involved in the video. The health minister confirmed that both had been immediately stood down and vowed they would never work in the NSW healthcare system again.
The video was originally shared on TikTok by content creator Max Veifer, who identifies as Israeli. His account features recorded conversations with strangers from Chatruletka, an anonymous video chat platform.
According to BBC reports, the video appears to have been filmed inside a hospital. In the footage, a man who claims to be a doctor initially compliments Mr. Veifer’s appearance but then states, "I'm sorry you're Israeli." He goes on to say he sends Israelis to Jahannam, an Islamic concept of hell, and makes a throat-slitting gesture. A woman then joins the conversation, telling Mr. Veifer that "one day" his "time will come" and that he will die. She later adds that she refuses to treat Israeli patients and would instead kill them.
Although the video has been edited with emojis and some comments have been censored, authorities have not questioned its authenticity.
Prime Minister Albanese denounced the footage as "disgusting" and "vile," writing on X (formerly Twitter), "These antisemitic comments, driven by hate, have no place in our health system and no place anywhere in Australia. Individuals found to have committed criminal antisemitic acts will face the full force of our laws."
Health Minister Park also apologized to the Jewish community, reassuring them that they can still expect "first-class" healthcare in NSW. "There is no place in our hospitals or our society for such hateful views," he said. He further acknowledged that hospital staff in Bankstown, where the suspended nurses were employed, felt deeply embarrassed and ashamed, but emphasized that this incident should not overshadow the dedication and professionalism of the broader healthcare workforce.
This video emerges amid a concerning rise in antisemitic attacks across Australia. In recent months, separate from the hospital incident, Jewish communities have been targeted in acts of arson and graffiti vandalism. Homes, cars, and synagogues have been defaced, fueling fear among residents.
In January, police discovered a caravan loaded with power gel explosives in NSW, which they warned had the potential to cause a "mass casualty event." Investigators also found a document expressing antisemitic views and listing Jewish targets in Sydney.
Alex Ryvchin, co-chief executive of the Executive Council of Australian Jewry, described the hospital video as yet another "warning sign" of the growing presence of extremism in the country. "This incident highlights the evil that exists in our midst and serves as a stark reminder of the importance of vigilance and accountability," he said.
Leave A Comment